Review for Out of Chances (Face the Music #4)

Out Of Chances (Face the Music Book 4) - Shona Husk

by Shona Husk

Twitter handle: @ShonaHusk

Out of Chances is the 4th and final installation in the Face the Music series. It can definitely be read as a stand alone because I’ve read 2 and 4 and I’ve never felt lost.

Although the story takes place in Australia it had an amazing flow and I had no difficulty following because it could very occur in any other place in the world.

In past books, at least the ones I’ve read so far, each and every single member of the band was going through some tough times but in Dan’s case you didn’t know what exactly he was going through except that he was walking a dark path and taking a deep dive into an addiction to alcoholism. Here we learn more about him and his relationship, or rather lack thereof, with his family. He kind of liked being in the background of things since he was not much for the spotlight and had enjoyed much of his life up until his devious ex-girlfriend ruined almost everything for him. He wasn’t ready for anything serious when he met our heroine Indigo but that was ok for her as well as she had some pretty heavy issues of her own.

One of the main things I loved about this series is the banter between band members, the determination to help each other, and the bond that exists among them, stronger even than family. Once they found out what Dan was going through they all treated him like the adult he was and gave him all the support they thought he needed. That was one of my favorite scenes in the story; when they all got together and let him hear it but this time it was for his own good and for the good of the band.

On the downside, I wished the story would have been a little longer. I felt the relationship between Dan and Indigo could have gone a little deeper however, because the end, not of the book but when they finally got together felt a bit rushed. Although I will say that the moments they were together felt incredible real and relatable for a couple that didn’t want to get too close.

It would be great if we got some sort of “Face the Music: The Tour” or something like it to see if the band finally made it to where they wanted to be and to see if their relationships are working out as they hoped they would. 4.5 stars.

Book Description:

Shona Husk’s sexy new adult series about emerging rock band Selling the Sun concludes this month with a story about a woman who doesn’t want to connect, a man who’s forgotten how and the friendships that save our lives.

Dan Clarke knows he doesn’t have a problem, regardless of whatever his band members, his friends, his family and everyone else thinks. Drinking isn’t keeping him from doing what needs to be done, and it helps keep the anger and pain of his ex-girlfriend’s betrayal at bay. If only she would stay away as well, but, since the band’s return to Fremantle, she’s everywhere—on the phone, in his apartment, at his parents’ house—begging for another chance, reminding him of how good they had been together, holding him hostage to the past. It’s no wonder he needs a beer now and again.

Indigo Matthews is all about control: she trains hard, she works hard and she plays hard. Men are for fun, not forever, and she will never end up like her mother, trapped and miserable. A huge Selling the Sun fan, Indigo knows when Dan wanders into her bar that he is a conquest that she has to make. But their connection is stronger than just sex, and regardless of her credo Indigo finds herself going back for more. Then truths about Dan’s life start to emerge, and Indigo finds herself in the one position she swore she’d never find herself.

A DUI, a drunk one night stand and an ultimatum from the band bring Dan’s life to a halt. Picking up the pieces is something he can’t do alone, and there’s only one person that he trusts to give a damn. The one person that he hurt the most. Indigo.