Time travel adventure... if only it was more expanded

Highland Tides (Caledonia Chronicles Book 2) - Anna Markland

This was one of those stories that got me thinking one thing when I started reading and ended up taking a completely different route by the time I finished. Not a bad thing though. This is the second book in the series but can be read as a stand alone as I did not read the first one and never felt lost.

I’d divide the story in three thirds. The first third was told at a very fast pace. Before I knew it our hero and heroine had met, fell in love and shared plenty to last a lifetime. Again, I’m not complaining but not exactly what I’m used to. Also, I think I learned more about the Scots in those few pages than I’ve done in my entire life. I have complained before about throwing too much info at me at once but when it comes to actual history I will always appreciate it as long as it’s told in an engaging and entertaining way, or such as in here, where it was made sound funny.
The other 2 thirds were not entirely about our main couple; as a matter of fact another romantic couple was introduced and a subplot took place. Not bad and it actually gave the story a twist of action and adventure. Definitely not a bad story because it made me want to read more from the author but I wish it would have been a little longer for it to expand a bit more at a more steady pace. 3 1/2 stars.

** Review copy provided via Reading Alley in exchange for an honest review **