Warrior Queen (Skeleton Key) by Shona Husk

Warrior Queen  - Shona Husk

Warrior Queen is part of a series called the Skeleton Key. The premise of each story is that someone finds the magical key and enters a world of magic and endless possibilities, however each story is completely different from the next and each can be read as a standalone.

In Warrior Queen we meet worn out cop Bryce Allard who after a serious mistake at work decides to leave that life behind and try something new but on the night of his last day of work he somehow ends up with the Skeleton Key and is transported to Queen Keleti’s kingdom.

Now I have to say Keleti rocked my world. She didn’t sound bossy because clearly she knew she was the boss and knew there was no need to overuse her power. She knew what she wanted and didn’t need to seduce it out of the hero to get it, she simply was. Because of her traditions she didn’t need a husband and there was no need for a king, so she basically could rule by herself but she was allowed to have a consort. I loved that she took that matter into her hands and decided when and how that was going to happen.

And Bryce, although he used to be a cop he was calm and never overbearing; never the annoying alpha that tried to overprotect "his" female. He knew his place and actually stayed out of the way when he thought it was best and help when he thought it was prudent.

If anything, Shona Husk has written some of my favorite PNR/Fantasy non-alpha heroes I’ve ever read and Bryce is one of them.

The whole idea of a magical key that opened to different worlds sounded intriguing. I would have loved for all of these keys to have a very specific purpose or to have a background story to the key but that wasn’t the case or not that I know of. As it is, this book was a semi-quick read with plenty of fantasy, action, and funny moments to keep me turning the pages. 4 stars.

** I received a copy of this story from the author in exchange for an honest review **