Review: 4 out of 5 stars MOGUL (The Knickerbocker Club #3) by Joanna Shupe

Mogul (The Knickerbocker Club) - Joanna Shupe

It took me a little while to warm up to the characters and the story, but I think that was because I didn’t quite get what was going on between the two main characters. It was just a serious case of miscommunication and mistrust but once the story got rolling and they had to work together it started to get better.
Calvin and Lillian lived a torrid yet brief romance four years earlier. They parted in the worst of terms, Lillian thinking the worst of Calvin and he thinking it was for the best. Fast forward four years later when she is pretty much forced to work alongside Calvin in order to find her missing brother.
Calvin sounded so arrogant and annoying that I really didn’t get how anyone could possibly like the guy. Lillian was strong-minded but acted so impetuously at times (and for the times) that made me wonder how she managed to stay alive that long. However, it turns out it was only a facade each of them created in order to atone for past mistakes and/or to forget about the love they once shared for one another. Their relationship was tempestuous at times, frigid cold at others but blazingly hot through and through.

I liked how the author made the story revolve around The Chinese Exclusion Act for so many people. I thought that was the event that added poignancy to the plot and pretty much helped the story stay on track. It also helped my mind stay in New York and not wander to England as I was reading. There were times I was starting to question an action and then I remembered Oh, this is New York, not England! Ok, back to the story now… Funny how the mind works some times. The book also included the novella Tycoon which was also a plus. I only wish it would have had a more climactic ending but other than that I liked it very much.

*** I received this book from the author at no cost to me and I volunteered to read it; this is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher.***