It's All About the Duke (The Rakes of St. James #3) by Amelia Grey

It's All About The Duke - Amelia Grey

To begin I’ll say this, I know there are people out there that will enjoy this book. I know there are people that will overlook lots of description, lengthy conversations, and characters that feel rather flat in lieu of a good story line. As for me, I don’t think I’ll read another book by this author.

My main problem with the story was that the pace was extremely slow. Four chapters in and the first scene was still going on. Four chapters of the same! The setting wasn’t too bad but I’m not a person that enjoys descriptive detail of every single nuance. Again, others may, I don’t.

As far as the characters, perhaps because the pace was so slow I didn’t feel the chemistry between Rath (the Duke of Rathburne) and Marlena. I also found her annoying and not as smart as she was supposed to be. The main storyline revolved around some letters that the Rakes of St. James sent to a few unsuspecting debutantes, causing them to lose all marital prospects. One of the affected ladies was Marlena’s friend so she decided to get back at the rakes by going after them anonymously through her scandal sheet. My issue with that was that she pretty much set out to do the very thing she was upset about to begin with. I just couldn’t reconcile the idea of a smart and compassionate woman being gossipy and having no regards for all the people she was affecting with her actions. It just didn’t make sense and I didn’t think age was a free-pass to act that way (she was “young” when she started the scandal sheets). )As far as Rath, I though he took things in stride, especially when he found out Marlena’s secret, but other than that I found his rakish ways lackluster.

I’m sitting here wondering if I would have enjoyed this book better if it hadn’t been redundant but as it is, all I can say the idea was there but it never really panned out, at least not for me.

Review copy provided by Netgalley. This is my honest opinion and in no way influenced by anyone.